What should you do if your Decatur home alarm system goes off?
Your home security system shields your property – and your family members – against the various risks you might encounter, like theft, fire, and flooding. Although your home might be prepared, that doesn’t mean you are. Do you know what to do if your Decatur home alarm system goes off? The blasting of an alarm is often jarring, confusing, and may incite panic. Your best bet is to stay level-headed and follow these straightforward suggestions.
Steps to Take When Your Home Alarm System In Decatur Sounds
You never want to be in this situation, but it’s also the reason why you put in a home alarm system in the first place. You’re roused from a deep sleep with the telltale sounding of an alarm after a security sensor has been triggered. Now what is your next move?
- Try not to panic. This is easy to say but harder to do when your home security alarm is ringing loudly, and your pulse is racing. But keeping a cool head is the optimal way to assess what’s going on. Avoid the impulse of trying to handle the emergency alone but instead allow your monitoring professionals and first responders to do their job.
- Protect your family. Your main focus should be your family members and moving them out of danger. In the case of a intrusion, this might involve moving to an appointed safe room as far from access points as possible. The intruder was likely already turned away by the alarm, but it’s always a good idea to be extra cautious. If there’s fumes or flames, you need to exit your home right away.
- Grab your smartphone. The vast majority of people keep their phones with them at all times these days, but you may neglect to grab it during an emergency. You’ll want to have it. You’ll be able to stay connected with your monitoring professionals and get notifications through your home security app.
Collaborate With Your Round-the-clock Monitoring Specialists
Any time your home alarm system in Decatur goes off, your 24-hour monitoring experts will spring to action. Their first move is to verify your alarm, and that means reaching out to you. The procedure they adhere to is based on the type of emergency. For example, if the emergency is is for medical reasons, one effort will be made to reach you before assistance is deployed. In the event of a burglary alarm - the most typical kind of alarm - a monitoring specialist will abide by these procedures to get in touch with you:
- An effort will be made to communicate with you through the touchscreen interface. You will usually be asked for a passcode.
- If that effort doesn’t prompt a reply, a call is made to your principal contact number.
- An alternate number or first emergency contact is called next.
- If you still can’t be reached, local law enforcement officers are sent.
- Your monitoring professionals will try to reach you again once authorities are alerted.
If you're not in a situation where you can communicate with monitoring staff, don’t fret. Support will still be deployed even if you're not available to verify the emergency.
Be prepared for any situation with a Vivint home alarm system in Decatur
Stay ready for any emergency with a modern home alarm system in Decatur from Vivint. Dial (256) 305-1902 to begin designing your home’s protection today.