Helpful safety tips for new homeowners in Decatur
If you purchased your first home or you’re approaching the closing date, congratulations! It’s a thrilling time for you and your family. You’re probably pondering all the ways you might personalize your residence with paint, furnishings, and decor. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, make certain you give thought to home security as well. Keeping your loved ones safeguarded should always be a top priority, and we’ll help you do so with these safety tips for new homeowners in Decatur.
Complete a safety audit of your new Decatur property
Now that safety is at the forefront, find out what your new home has in place. To begin, make sure you have operational smoke alarms. Inspect every one and replace batteries if needed. Are carbon monoxide detectors in the house? Do you need a water sensor in your basement? This is also a perfect time to replace door locks and investigate all locks on windows. Go through each room and scope out your new home.
Smart security tips for your Decatur home
Once you’ve done your opening inspection of locks and safety alarms, you may consider elevating your property’s defense. To get started, consider these security tips for your home in Decatur.
- Install a new home security system. One of the smartest things a new homeowner in Decatur can do is install a home security system. The latest in wireless technology allows you to keep a close watch on your property even when you’re away. You can scan real-time video feeds, control door locks, and even talk to visitors on your front porch directly from your cell phone. You may customize with incredible security implements such as video surveillance and monitored fire alarms.
- Modernize your exterior lights. Outdoor lights with motion detectors are an effective way to deter possible intruders. You may even integrate them with video cameras. When a motion sensor is tripped, it can signal your surveillance to record.
- Maintain your yard. Do you have a clear view of your property from inside? Are there oversized trees and bushes impeeding your view? Eliminate possible areas to hide by keeping your yard neat and tidy. Your neighbors will appreciate it as well.
- Make friends with folks in your community. Speaking of your neighbors, get to know them. If you know people close to you, they’ll be more inclined to inform you if they detect suspicious behavior. You may also get involved in your neighborhood’s social media page if one is created.
- Take advantage of home automation. If you install an advanced smart home, you can make it look like you’re inside by illuminating smart lighting at scheduled times. This is a nice feature when you’re away.